Spanish Pisto with Olives
- 1 cup pimento OLIVES FROM SPAIN
- 2 pcs zucchini (diced)
- 2 pcs red capsicum(diced)
- 2 pcs medium green bell peppers (diced)
- 3 pcs onions (peeled and diced)
- 2 pcs eggplants (diced)
- 500 gr tomatoes (ripe,diced)
- 5 pcs garlic cloves (peeled and diced)
- A pinch of dried herbs (oregano and thyme)
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp brown sugar or gur
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tsp dried chilli pepper or chilli flakes
- 3-4 eggs (optional)
- Olive oil
Preparation time:40 minutes
Level of difficulty:Easy
- Prepare and cut the vegetables as indicated.
- Prepare the tomato sauce in a frying pan. Using medium heat, add 3 tbsp olive oil, let it heat and then add half of the garlic and the chilli. Sauté for 2 minutes and then add the diced tomato. Cover the pan and cook over a medium low heat for about 20 minutes. Keep stirring frequently, until you have tomato sauce. Add the sugar, and adjust for salt.
- In another large pan, heat 2-3 tbsp of olive oil (low-medium heat). Add the rest of the garlic and let it infuse with the oil for 2 min. Add the onion and mix. Cook until the onion is translucent. Add the green pepper, the red capsicum, combine and continue to cook on medium high heat for about 3-5 min. Add the eggplant and zucchini and continue stirring and mixing. Let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Add all the salt and pepper, cumin powder and the herbs and make all the flavors combine. Keep mixing to let the vegetables poach, the vegetables should be soft but not falling apart. After 2-3 minutes add the olives and the tomato sauce mix together and let it simmer for few minutes here and add the eggs over the top. Let them cook for about 8-10 minutes, then remove from the heat and serve.