Pimento stuffed green olive balchao, goan style
- 40 pcs (140 g) Spanish pimento stuffed green olives
- 1 ½ cups Shrimp, cleaned and deveined (small to medium sized)
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 pc Onion (chopped)
- 2 pc Tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 tbsp Garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp Fresh ginger (minced)
- 6 pcs Dried red chilies
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 pc Cinnamon sticks (2 inch)
- 5 pcs Cloves
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- ¼ cup Coconut toddy vinegar/White wine vinegar
- Coarse sea salt to taste
Preparation time:30 minutes
Level of difficulty:Medium
- Put the shrimp in a large bowl and sprinkle salt on them. Set aside.
- Roast the dry red chillies, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, cloves, and cinnamon until they begin to release their aroma. Take off the fire and cool.
- Grind or blend the ginger, garlic and roasted spices into a smooth paste using the vinegar.
- Heat the oil on a medium heat in a wok style pan or frying pan. Add the shrimp and stir fry till opaque (1-2 min). Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, fry the onions till light brown (8-10 min). Add the tomato and fry till soft.
- Add the spice-vinegar paste, sugar, and salt to taste and fry till the oil begins to separate from the masala.
- Add the shrimp and the pimento stuffed olives to this masala, mix well and cook for 3 minutes. Stir and serve.