Olive and jackfruit biryani
- 20 pcs ( 70 g) Green & Black OLIVES FROM SPAIN
- ½ kg Raw Jackfruit
- 1 ½ cups Basmati Rice (soaked and drained)
- 4 pcs Green cardamoms
- 3 pcs Black cardamoms
- 3 pcs Cloves
- 2 inch Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Caraway seeds (shahi jeera)
- 1 tbsp Ginger paste
- 1 tbsp Garlic paste
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 2 tsp Coriander powder
- 2 tsp Red chilli powder
- 3 pcs Tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 ½ cups Yogurt (whisked)
- 2 tbsp Fresh coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp Mint
- 5/6 strands Saffron (kesar)
- 1 tbsp Milk
- 1 tsp Garam masala powder
- 1 bunch Fresh mint leaves torn
- 1 tbps Kewra water
- 3 tbsp Pure ghee
- 4 medium Onions thinly sliced
- Olive Oil
Preparation time:30 minutes
Level of difficulty:Medium
- Apply oil to a knife and cut jackfruit into slices. Peel and cut into one-and-a-half inch sized cubes. Wash and drain.
- Parboil rice in six cups of water adding a little salt and two green cardamoms, two black cardamoms, cloves and one stick of cinnamon. Drain parboiled rice, refresh in cold water and drain again.
- Boil tender jackfruit pieces with a touch of salt and turmeric. Do not overcook, the pieces should cook till soft. Drain.
- Remove and place on an absorbent paper and set aside.
- Take a deep wide vessel and heat three tablespoons of ghee, add shahi jeera and remaining green cardamoms, black cardamoms, crushed cinnamon. Add onions and sauté for a while. Add ginger-garlic paste and continue to sauté.
- Add turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder, tomato and continue to sauté for two to three minutes. Add cooked jackfruit cubes and stir. Add olives, yogurt, and salt.
- Dissolve saffron in lukewarm milk and set aside.
- Spread half of the rice over the jackfruit layer, pour half ghee all over the rice, add some fried onions and spread over the rice. Next sprinkle a tbsp of coriander leaves and a tbsp of mint leaves and pour half of saffron milk over the rice. Repeat this process once more for another layer.
- Place lid and over the lid place a heavy weight and seal the edges with wheat dough. Cook this biryani on high flame for 2 minutes then place the vessel on top of a hot tawa and cook for 20 mins.
- Let it cool down for 15 mins. Remove lid, mix gently, and remove into a serving bowl. Serve warm with raita.